We are a CHRISTIAN church
We are a BIBLICAL church
- The Triune God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – created the universe and made mankind in his image, holy and without sin.
- Adam and Eve, the first human beings, disobeyed God and brought sin on the entire human race. Therefore, all people are sinful from conception.
- The punishment for sin is death. Because of our sin, there is nothing we can do to win God’s favor or earn eternal life.
- God so loved the world that he sent his one and only Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to be our Savior from sin and death. Jesus is fully God and fully man, the Son of God who was born of the virgin Mary.
- Through Jesus’ perfect life, he fulfilled the righteous demands of God’s law. Through Jesus’ undeserved death, he paid the penalty for the sins of the all people. Through Jesus’ victorious resurrection, he proved that the payment was complete and all sin was forgiven.
- We receive this free gift of forgiveness only through faith in Jesus Christ, not on the basis of our own works.
- This faith is not something that we can produce on our own, but rather is a free gift from God, worked by the Holy Spirit through the gospel.
- Jesus will return on the Last Day to judge all mankind. All those who possess saving faith will live forever with God in heaven. All those who do not possess saving faith will be condemned to eternal separation from God in hell.
We are a LUTHERAN church
- The Bible, in its entirety, is the true and inspired Word of God. Through it, God reveals himself to his creation.
- The Bible is a unified document, true and without error in everything it says.
- The Bible teaches us all that we need to know for salvation.
- The Bible is the only source and standard for Christian teaching and living and guides us in leading godly lives of thanksgiving to our Savior.
We are an EVANGELICAL church
- We believe, teach, and adhere to the historic confessions of the Lutheran Church as recorded in the Book of Concord because they are clear and accurate statements of the Bible’s teaching.
- We believe that we are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, as taught by Scripture alone.
- We are a community of believers washed by the waters of Holy Baptism, fed by Jesus’ body and blood in Holy Communion, and taught and guided by the Word of God.
- We are a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, a network of churches across North America and around the world that are bound together by a common confession of faith.
To learn more about our beliefs and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), please visit "What We Believe" on wels.net.
- “Evangelical” comes from the Greek word for gospel, or good news, about Jesus Christ.
- Our church, school, and childcare ministries are all committed to serving our community on behalf of Christ by actively sharing the good news about Jesus Christ.
Want to know more? Email the church office.
Read more about the history of St. John's here.